Thursday, August 14, 2008

Introducing....Cheng



Here goes my first ever post on Sunny Rides.


I'm a 3-times-a-week commuter to beautiful Point Loma. When I'm not pedaling my road bike, I'm usually astride a Suzuki SV-650.


So, I've got a relatively unique viewpoint of traffic and commuting in San Diego, different from the claustrophobic view behind your average tinted windshield. Every day I see dazzling beauty as well as bland ugliness. I drive past sublime landscapes and pedestrian strip malls. I see young and old, rich and poor, fast and slowpoke.


But what I don't see is angry or rude drivers. In fact, I would guess that 80% of San Diego drivers are downright polite and patient. I think that we're blessed with a relaxed, take-it-as-it-comes culture that makes the daily commute much more bearable.

Even outside San Diego, the American roadway is relatively benign and welcoming. Compare Boston to Naples, or Cleveland to Cartagena.

So get out there and count your blessings. Here's hoping that you're not stuck behind a line of traffic, but even if you are, just remember that it could a LOT worse.

No comments: